Basic Smoking Cessation Counselling Course
The Basic Smoking Cessation Counselling course is a foundation course that equips interested participants with the knowledge and skills to provide basic smoking cessation counselling for smokers. There are no pre-requisites for this course.
At the end of this course, you will be familiar with:
- The extent of smoking and tobacco use, both globally and locally
- What is smoking cessation and how to achieve it
- The different stages of behaviour change
- The quitting process
- The role of pharmacotherapy in smoking cessation
- Basic counselling skills to take a smoker through brief and intensive counselling
- Different tools and counselling techniques
- An online e-learning module
- An online assessment in the form of 30 multiple-choice questions, to be taken on completion of the e-learning module.
- Only participants who have successfully completed and passed the assessment can progress to the next training component.
- A half-day facilitated learning session that allows participants to apply and reinforce the counselling skills they have learnt in a face-to-face, role play setting.
Note that as the e-learning module provides the conceptual framework and theoretical background to the facilitated learning session, you are advised to complete the module and pass the assessment before attending the facilitated learning session.
Approved course providers and course schedule
National Healthcare Group College
- Ms Toh Yan Hua (main coordinator)
- Mr Lim Wei Beng
Schedule for 2021
Course fees: $160.50 (with 7% GST) for virtual facilitated session
$214.00 (with 7% GST) for face-to-face facilitated session
* Participants have two weeks to complete the e-learning module and online assessment. Access will be given three weeks before the chosen practical course date.
For further enquiries, you can email HPB at HPB_Smoking_Control@hpb.gov.sg.