Healthy Meals in Schools Programme
The Healthy Meals in Schools Programme encourages healthier food and beverage choices in schools. We achieve this through an integrated programme involving teachers, canteen vendors and students. We also work together with the Ministry of Education to actively encourage participation. This programme aims to help students cultivate healthy eating habits right from their youth.
Under this programme, canteen vendors need to follow food service guidelines. These include:
- Cutting down fat, sugar and salt
- Serving whole grains, fruit and vegetables
- Serving healthy set meals
- These meals incorporate food from the four main food groups – brown rice, wholemeal bread, meat and others, vegetable and fruit. These help students receive the appropriate nutrients necessary for their growing needs.
You can take a look at the detailed criteria for this programme or at the frequently asked questions for more information.
Our assigned nutritionists and dietitians will also assess participating schools and a report will be provided to guide canteen vendors to meet the programme’s guidelines.
Support for schools
We support participating schools through the following ways:
- Organising culinary training for canteen vendors. This equips vendors with the knowledge of healthy nutrition and culinary skills to prepare healthier meals using healthier ingredients.
- Guiding the School Canteen Committee in monitoring the food and beverages sold.
- Providing educational resources to encourage healthier eating among students.
- This information toolkit is for school personnel only and not for the general public. Do note that the information contained in the document is not to be used or reproduced without consent.
For reference, we have also compiled:
Application and further enquiries
For more information or to register for this programme, you can email HPB_spd@hpb.gov.sg.